Children’s Model Neuropsychological Rehabilitation Unit
Holistic Neuropsychology Rehabilitation includes a set of therapeutic interventions that have been designed to address the cognitive, functional, behavioural and emotional consequences of brain injuries.
The aim is for the child to:
- develop its abilities to the maximum and to compensate for its difficulties
- to become integrated in the school environment
- to create and maintain friendships, so that in the future to be able to cope as a young adult
Holistic Neuropsychology Rehabilitation is open to children aged 5-16, who face difficulties when it comes to learning, adapting, behaviour, emotional control and socialization due to the conditions that affect how the brain functions, whether congenital (cerebral palsy, neurological and neurodevelopmental syndromes) or acquired (Traumatic brain injuries, Intracranial, Tumours, Cerebrovascular Disorders, Encephalitis, etc)
A prerequisite for participating in the program is to be able to communicate verbally (understand simple instructions and communicate basic needs) and the ability to maintain a minimum level of alertness.
The evaluation includes an initial interview of child and parents; clinical observations; administration of an extensive neuropsychological battery of tests (2 days), which assess a wide range of cognitive functions, such as basic attention and concentration, perception (visual and auditory) and visuospatial functions, speech, memory, higher order executive functions (analytical, critical and synthetic thinking, programming flexibility, problem solving); a detailed written report of results, interpretation and proposals; a session for the presentation and discussion of results and proposals.
With the aim to:
- Examine cognitive abilities, behavioural and emotional difficulties and the manner in which these interact
- Assess cognitive abilities and identify possible deficits
- Identify the reasons why the child faces adjustment problems in its school, family and social setting.
The Neuropsychiatric Evaluation will be used as a guide in order to plan interventions and strategies and will be a point of reference in the developmental interventions and in the effectiveness of interventions
The program is formulated according to the child’s needs and ability to attend, taking into account the curriculum. The duration of the therapeutic intervention is based on individualised aims and the results of the Assessment.
The program includes:
- Personalised systematic stimulation of cognitive functions:
These include: alertness, attention and concentration, memory, perception, speed of information processing, and higher order cognitive functions, such as programming, problem resolution, mental agility etc.
- Individual Counselling:
its aim is to help emotional empowerment, manage emotions (stress, fears, frustration, disappointment), provide support in personal matters and in setting acceptable new targets.
- Interventions in a group setting:
Self-awareness, interpersonal skills, communication workshop.
- Education / support of “Significant others”
These aim to reduce stress within the family, increase awareness of consequences, transfer interventions to the home and set realistic goals.
- Cooperation with the school setting
A steady exchange of information and feedback between the two settings helps with the therapeutic intervention and in adopting strategies in the school setting.
The Program aims:
- To enhance awareness and acceptance
- To integrate new facts in a realistic self-image
- To self-monitor and modify dysfunctional behaviours (obsessions, managing emotions, compulsions, apathy)
- To implement new compensatory strategies
- To stimulate communication
- To enhance social skills and empathy
To adapt to a new reality and the roles this requires.
Our Expert Team:
ELEPAP Scientific Director, Maria Pyrgeli MSc, Ph.D., FEBPRM Physiatrist.
Christalena Kattami Ph.D., M. Ed, M.A. Rehabilitation Counselling Psychologist
Efthymia Barlou, M.D. Pediatric Psychiatrist
Evangelia Saleptsi Ph.D. Clinical Neuropsychologist
Natalia Karra MSc Clinical Neuropsychologist
Τηλ.: 210-7227758 Fax: 210 7227757